The Word

Summer.  ðŸ˜Ž My favorite time of year.  I've figured out a couple things since my last blog post.  
1.  I tend to have more to say when something is bothering me or I'm stressed. 
2.  Summer makes me happy, therefore, I clearly have less to say:)  

However, something did pop up today that I'd like to address, because it made me think about why I love to do Bible Studies. 

I can't remember exactly when I started attending a Bible Study.  It's been a long time!  Time has a way of creeping up on us doesn't it?  I've attended studies at several churches in my area over the last 25 years.  I even facilitated a study for five years at the church where I am currently a member.  Right now I'm jamming with the Baptist girls, and loving it.  

But I regress . . .okay, here we go.  

First off, I think it's incredibly important to stay in God's word and working through a Bible study keeps you in the pages.  I love the Bible.  I love digging in and seeing what Father God has to say to us.  I need that accountability in my life, and it keeps me grounded in my faith.  It's good for your brain, your soul, and your heart.  It helps you grow closer to the Father, and it gives your life meaning and purpose.  Without faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, I just don't know how a person would get through the trials and tribulations in life.  This path is not an easy one, but this I know for sure, walking through it with Jesus by your side is a whole lot easier than going it alone.

My love of study certainly was ignited by Beth Moore.  She has an incredible thirst for God's word and is so gifted in teaching. Her love of Bible Study absolutely captivated me.  She made me want to know the book for myself.  To dig in and find the treasures, or nuggets,  she so excitedly points out.  I have gained a love for the Word and I have her to thank for that.  She has made studying the Bible and memorizing scripture exciting!  My love for the Lord has grown immeasurably and I feel like I have gained a wonderful education and solid foundation in the faith because of the way she has pointed me to Jesus.  Time and time again she told us not to believe her word, but to look things up and study it for ourselves.  So, thank you Beth!  

My two favorite studies from Beth were Daniel, and A Woman's Heart, God's Tabernacle. (But I have loved each and every one!) Daniel takes you on a journey through the Book of Daniel and Revelation. (Not Revelations - yes, I learned that in Bible Study).  The Bible is as relevant now as it was when it was compiled.  It's filled with wisdom and wonder.  The Word of God is powerful - and by reading the Word and studying the Bible, we increase our faith.  The Bible is incredibly interesting.  It never stops teaching and drawing us closer to our creator. 

Currently, I've signed up for two online studies to keep me busy this summer.  One is through Lifeway.com called Steadfast Love, by Lauren Chandler.  The other is a new study by Erica Wiggenhorn, called The Unexplainable Church.  Steadfast Love is a study on Psalm 107 and The Unexplainable Church is a study of Acts 13-28.  How does it work?  Steadfast Love is an online study where you order the workbook and then watch a free video that will posted on Wednesdays, beginning June 14.   You'll complete homework and interact with others via the group, and  Erica Wiggenhorn has a Facebook page where she is currently inviting people to sign up for her new study.  See the links below.↧

What a great opportunity for you to get your feet wet if you've always wanted to study the Bible or try a Bible study, but you didn't know what to expect, or your afraid that your lack of knowledge will make you feel silly.  Which by the way is completely untrue.  I would also highly encourage you to attend a Bible Study!  You know the kind, with real people, maybe in a cozy room at church or a local coffee shop . . .It's a place to study together with women at all stages of life and knowledge, a community to build your faith with,  to meet other ladies in your church or area, and to form lasting friendships and do life together.  

Why not step out and give something new a try?  I think sometimes we get into a rut and we continue to do the same things year after year, and we miss out!  God has some divine appointments for you, but you have to show up!  I've gotten lost in repetition myself.  I've been at the same job for 17 years, I served in two roles at church, one for five years and one for nine years, (which I loved) but due to some changes this past year, I gave up those roles and stepped out into something new.  Was it easy?  No.  Especially for the shy introvert that hides inside this menopausal body.  Did I shed a few tears and wonder what life would look like?  Yes.  I'm not a big fan of change or of surprises, and I can earnestly say that God has blessed me, surrounded me with a group of kindhearted,  encouraging prayer warriors who share my love of Bible Study, who have come alongside my family in prayer and extended love and friendship to me in my hesitation and my fear.  

So, there you have it.  My thoughts on this stormy night - from my little portal to the big loud world out there.  Be blessed friends.  I have an extra copy of the workbook for Steadfast Love and I'd love to give it away to the first person who asks! ** (Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom!  I gave the workbook away . . .maybe next time!)


Lauren's Study:  Steadfast Love by Lauren Chandler



Comments