Love & Loss



Last Friday we took our beautiful German Shepherd, Sarge, in for surgery.  He had a baseball sized tumor on his spleen.  The surgery went well, but he was 10, and within an hour of bringing him home, he passed away.  It was quick.   By the time we figured out that he was in trouble, he was gone. I'm so glad he knew that we came back, that we tried, that he was home, and that he was loved.  He never complained, he just loved.  He was such a good guy, our Shep.  I am going to miss him so much.  

He passed away on the 8th anniversary of my Mom's death.  In a way, that is a comfort to me.  It's one of those dates that you hold close to your heart, but don't really allow yourself to visit mentally - too much.  I'm the type of person that just can't allow myself to think or dwell on sadness too long, or I'll fall into a place that's much harder to get out of.  However, watching that beloved dog leave this earth was a little too much like watching my mom and my sister go.  Some things in life, death being one, are on very similar timelines.  (My daughter's 3rd-grade teacher told the kids that animals don't have souls.  It seemed a bit harsh to me at the time, and I don't want to get all doctrinal on you just yet, but I'd have to see some scripture references to back that up, especially after listening to Priscilla Shirer discuss the sparrow in our current lesson!) 

I don't know if "All Dogs Go To Heaven".  I don't know if any dogs do, frankly.  I'm not even sure if I saw the movie . .more on that later, but, can you imagine the mob of dogs that would greet you if they did?  I've had four dogs so far, and I think that reunion would be hilarious.  Sarge and Maggie would be in an all out run to reach me. I think Sarge was faster, but Maggie was extremely protective.  She would see him as a threat - even though I was now an eternal being . .and she would take him down! The little cockapoo, Cindy, would be last, her little legs working hard, but you'd definitely hear her coming and she'd carry on for quite some time! But, we aren't here to read about my imaginations . . . or are we?  Nah, you probably want something humorous, or interesting, or intelligent. Well, there are plenty of other blogs out there. .try a search for "profound or entertaining"!

Seriously though, let's talk about Heaven for a minute.  Are you going? (Was that a bit abrupt?  Oh well. .)  When it's your time, do you know that you know that it's your destination?  You don't end up there by default you know.  You get to choose.  You have to choose.  Now I will get doctrinal because I don't see in the Bible where it says anything "saves" you, other than believing in Jesus Christ.  And believing is a choice.  

Creator God gave us free will . . . and if you are anything like me, you've used that free will to make some bad decisions in life. Well, make a good one this time.  Jesus is a gentleman.  He stands at the door of your heart and he knocks, quietly.  You've felt Him knocking if you aren't a believer.  Maybe it comes in the form of feeling empty or feeling like you're missing something.  Maybe you just can't seem to find contentment, or to figure out what it is in life that will fill that hole in your heart.   Well, that hole is God-Shaped, and only He can fill it.  So take that step dear one.  Ask Him to come into your heart, to be the Lord and Saviour of your life.  Ask Him to forgive your sins, and He will be faithful.  He will also fill you with His Holy Spirit - the Comforter, the Counselor. Trust me when I say that life is much easier lived with the knowledge that one day you will enter into Heaven, and that you will be reunited with those that have gone before you in the faith.  This beautiful blue sphere we live on is not your home.   It's a temporary dwelling place, like the body you live in.  

That day will be glorious!  You won't miss this life.  You'll finally have your eyes opened to why we are just strangers here, passing through - that this place is not our home.  We were made for so much more!   You are the beloved son/daughter of a King!  You cannot fathom what is in store!

I hope you'll be encouraged today and know that God does indeed have a plan for your life.  He loves you with an everlasting love - more than you can possibly imagine!  If you've been trying to figure it all out by yourself, and things aren't going so good, maybe it's time to turn to the one who wrote the script?  I certainly decided that following His plan for my life was a whole lot more awesome than my feeble plan! 

Okay, enough preaching.  Let's get back to the dog topic.  I cried at least five times in the movie "A Dog's Purpose".  The film "Marley and Me" nearly killed my family of four.  We had recently lost our Maggie, and we bawled our eyes out!  Heck, I even cried during "Pete's Dragon".  Am I overly sensitive?  Yes, a resounding yes!   But I blame "Old Yeller".  Were you also traumatized by that story as a child?  Bless your heart, I'll pray for your healing:)  My point?  For that, I will quote the wise words of Oscar Hammerstein II:  "Love in your heart isn't put there to stay, love isn't love till you give it away".

We have to keep loving, even if it hurts.  Does that mean I want to run out and get a puppy?  Nope.  But, upon hearing my thoughts on love and loss, my husband nearly lost all hope.  So, because I love him, I will love another dog.  I will love the dog with all my heart, and when we lose another one after many happy years, I will remember how much joy loving another furball gave me, and more importantly, how much joy it gave my husband.  So, if you know of any German Shepherd puppies that are available - he wants a girl, and I'd like a long haired Shep - let us know.  Until then, we have Athena coming today to help us heal!  (Daughter's Great Pyrenees - total love ball).

So, be brave.  Love people - don't withhold it!  To love is the greatest commandment and our greatest joy.  And while you're at it, thank God for the people he has placed in your life.  Give them a hug while you can, love them sincerely and without condition, and give your dog a hug around the neck . . .and let's enjoy our life.  

What is Love?  ðŸ’›

It's silence when your words would hurt,
It's patience when your neighbor's curt,
It's defense when the scandal flows,
It's thoughtfulness for another's woes,
It's promptness when stern duty calls,
It's courage when misfortune falls.
~Anyonymous


Comments